“Eternal truths” of K.N.Batyushkov
- The first rule of this science (poetry – the author’s footnote) must be: live as you write and write as you live. Otherwise, all echoes of your lyre will be insincere.
- Poetry, I dare say, requires the whole man.
- The main advantage of a poetic syllable is dynamics, power and clarity.
- A syllable is an order and action, into which we put our thoughts.
- The epopee, dramatics, lyric poetry, history, spiritual and civil eloquence require greatest efforts of mind, elevated and ardent imagination.
- Great writers form language; they give direction to it and leave on it an indelible print of a genius.
- Contemplating nature feeds the soul, inspires the poet’s thoughts, which become freer and stronger.
- To live in the society, to bear a heavy joke of positions, which are often worthless and fussy, and to wish adjusting the benefits of pride with the desire of fame is a really vain requirement.
- Praise contributes to the development of talent, but genuine, great talent won’t die without praise.